Wednesday 1 January 2014

Goodbye 2013




It has been a fantastic year. A year filled with many first experiences, a lot of learning, much joy and laughter as well as one with occasional disappointments and failures. I'm just glad that through it all, I'm a year older and a lot stronger now.



After working so hard for A Levels, the start of 2013 was a break that I have been looking forward to having. Many of my friends took up office jobs but I decided that was not the thing for me. So I went to work in Robinsons instead. Even though it was only a short stint, it was a great learning experience for me. My sister and I got assigned to the Event Hall in Centrepoint. There made lots of new friends with fellow part timers and even the full time staff. It was also during that short part time job that I understood more about the retail and service industry. I'm glad to have met people who taught me a lot and I learnt so much about how managing a departmental store works. :)



I got my A Levels results this year as well. Didn't do as well as I expected for Math & General Paper, but the rest was good :) A for H2 History made me really really happy! History has always been a subject I'm interested in. Despite having a horrendous memory I still challenged myself to take H2 History and I'm glad I managed to work hard with my happy pills and eventually do well :) I eventually got a C for H1 Physics, irritating C spoils the result slips but I'm still happy because I've been failing physics for the 2 years of JC life, so finally a C is good! hahaha! So, Hard work really pays off! (okay not all the time, I only got a B for Math despite putting in so so so much work. Sigh. Then there's the B for GP too… :( Prepared so much but still didn't do as well as I expected.)

Nonetheless, I still managed to qualify for the school and courses I was interested in. :) So, getting straight As isn't everything. I guess it really depends on where you want to go and what you want to do :) Eventually, NUS FASS, NTU Business & SMU Business offered me a place and I chose SMU Business. 1 semester down, I don't regret my choice :) I made new friends and had lots of fun! Most people says SMU is too competitive and its really stressful but I guess it's all about perspectives. No doubt it is competitive, but this is the real world isn't it? We can't expect to be protected in our comfort zones all the time only to be shocked and defeated when we step out to the working world.



I'm glad I met people like Vivian (okay we met long ago but we got closer this year!), Pei Wen, Jamie, Zhuang Xian and Melvin! They were the ones who made my first semester in university so much better. At least I didn't have to face all the strangers and unfamiliarity on my own. They were friends I know I can depend on ;) Got to meet great group mates who made group work & presentations a lot better! Not to forget, dear teammates from floorball and friends I made along the way from classes,  orientation and community service projects. ;)

It was also the first time I volunteered for a community service project which involved interacting with children who had down syndrome. I've learnt so so so much from this experience and I'm so glad I decided to go for it :) I also got to meet new friends from the social enterprise community service project I joined "Live at Jericho's by Uni-Y" :)

Apart from getting to know a whole lot more people, I'm finally studying something I'm interested in. Okay, we still have to clear the Uni Core Modules in the first year for SMU~ (OMG, so glad I lived through Statistics) OH, and I got my semester 1 results back as well. Didn't too as well as I expected but still on track. Shall work harder next semester :)

CourseTitleOfficial GradeUnits
LGST 101Business LawB+1
MGMT 002Technology and World ChangeB+1
MGMT 004Creative ThinkingA-0.5
STAT 101Introductory StatisticsB+1
WRIT 001Academic WritingB1
Term GPA = 3.28 (Good Standing)

Haha, okay, enough about boring study related stuff! I did so many other exciting things this year! :)



I joined Agape Adelphe Floorball Club, and made so many new friends and got to know old friends better! hahaha I'm so glad that I'm part of this crazy and fun to be with bunch of people! We are halfway through our season and our standing has so far been quite good, can't wait to do better next year and work towards even better results! :)



Another huge milestone and a tick off my bucket list would have to be the completion of my first ever FULL MARATHON. Actually, I'm not exactly very proud of myself because I didn't train for it AT ALL and just went and ran. (Which was quite dangerous! =.=") I ran the first half then my legs kind of gave way so I walked the second half. So glad to have Chek with me to cheer me on and accompany me to the finish line. <3 2013 was also a fantastic year for me and him. I guess we grew a lot and became stronger through all the ups and downs. We are a more mature and understanding couple now :) Can't wait to create more great memories in 2014 and the years ahead :)



What's life without entertainment and motivation right? Hahah, people who know me well would know I'm a die hard fan of Chinese music and I LOVE MAYDAY WOOHOO hahahha okay, so they came for a concert in Singapore and like always, I went with my mum and LiJuan, Mum's friends and this time with the addition of my sister and Chek!!!! [YAY first Mayday concert together :")] & We got the FIRST FREAKING ROW at the extension stage, near the main stage. OMG LOVE THIS SEAT!!! (My iTunes is on Shuffle and Mayday's song is playing now heheh)



But, on a more serious note, PLEASE READ THIS > http://maydaysonnets.wordpress.com/2013/06/16/mayday-nowhere-tour-singapore-2013-14-and-15-june-review/ because I didn't write a blog post after the concert (sigh why didn't I?) But this review is really good~~ HAHA and judging from some of her pictures, my seat was somewhere near this person! I'm so glad for this concert because it was really timely (on 14 & 15 June 2013) It just felt so rejuvenating to listen to Mayday live just before I embark on a new journey (University life).

Mayday really has magical powers haha, to make you forget your troubles and move on with even more strength. No doubt the atmosphere at their concerts is always super high, but time and time again, in the midst of it all, I always find myself in a very surreal situation where I could reflect upon my life and feel that nothing is too difficult to overcome. omg, I could go on forever about how much I love Mayday's music but then I'm never going to finish blogging! hahaha! So just one last bit and I'm moving on; GO LISTEN TO MAYDAY'S SONGS! I really can't imagine why would anyone not listen to their song, and it will really be your loss not to love them haha!



So, apart from Mayday, Calvin came to Singapore as well ;) I was really excited because he was here to promote his first movie, 3 peas in a pod. I'm so happy for him that it was such a good movie and the ticket sales were fantastic as well! Then again, I also realised how long I detached myself from Weibo and news of Jiro & Calvin since A Levels. Sigh, I also missed the chance to audition for the role of Penny because I didn't even know about the auditions. What kind of fan am i? ;( So anyway not saying I would even get the role but at least I would have tried for a chance hahah. Whatever, I shall not dwell on these kind of things.




Red shoes in first row if you can't spot me ;)

But, I really had a great time when I went for Calvin's events :) :) :) I made new friends and met really talented people like Kandy, Mayday Fan Carmen, Jiro Fan Hui Erm! hahah and I had a lot of first times during these events. First time standing in the middle of the very very first row WOOHOO (Plaza Sing. Event and Calvin's Birthday party!), First time taking a picture with Calvin, First time going for an event alone (GroundZero Event), First time attending Calvin's birthday party etc. Okay if you're interested to read about my whole fan girl experience for that time, there a separate post. hahah I'll post the link here soon :)





Oh, and I managed to go for a short getaway with my primary school besties and my mummy!!! We planned the trip on our own and travelled all over without any guide :) OMG and we finally went to Kenting! I've been wanting to visit the place since years ago! We went to Taichung and Taipei as well :) &&& After typing this I realised, MELBERLY HAVENT UPLOADED THE PICTURES FROM HER CAMERA OMG! HAHAH! 




Spent my last bit of 2013 in Bhutan with my family. This is a trip that I would never forget because it was a real eye-opener and I've learnt so much from a short 6 days there. The whole Bhutan experience would be in a separate post as well. :) Will put the link here once I'm done with that post :)

So, year in summary, It was an eventful year with lots of learning and happiness! Now I'm ready to welcome 2014 and work hard to make it an even more fulfilling year!

Love,
Shan ^^

No comments:

Post a Comment